J-Term Day 1: Welcome to the Lord of the Rings Online!
7 January 2018
It is with much excitement that I get to share one of my great loves with you over the next two weeks:
The Lord of the Rings Online (LOTRO)! Based on J. R. R. Tolkien’s famous work, The Lord of the Rings, LOTRO is set within Middle Earth, and allows players to immerse themselves in the storyline in a way Tolkien never could have imagined.
Over the next two weeks, you can expect the following: each morning we will create our own fellowship and work our way through the game’s epic book quests on low-level starting characters (all hobbits). In the afternoon, we will roam Middle Earth on our choice of characters, and I will introduce you to deeds,
crafting, and hobbies.
Our first few days are designed to introduce you to Tolkien’s secondary world, the lore behind the series, and the playing style of the game. Resource management, collaboration, and communication will be our primary objectives as a class.
Perhaps my good friend Bumbo, the Happy Hobbit, put the rules of the game best: “Be nice, have fun, kill stuff, get things, and try not to die.”
Welcome to the Lord of the Rings Online!
-Dr. Helana E. Brigman
The Maine School of Science and Mathematics
9:00 a.m.--12:00 p.m.:
1:00 p.m.--3:00 p.m.:
Deed Runs & Solo Adventuring
(If you created a character over Winter Break, now is the time to play him/her!)
Monday, January 8th
9:00 a.m.--12:00 p.m.:
-Information about MSSM
-Starting zone & character: Hobbits, Hobbits, Hobbits!!!!!
-  Prologue (Hobbit): The Quarry In Scary - Fellowship
-Resume epic storyline (above)
-Break for lunch
-Introduction to deed runs
-Shire Slayer Deeds: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Slayer_of_the_Shire
- Brigand-Slayer (30, for 5 LOTRO Points!)
- Brigand-Slayer (60, for 10 LOTRO Points!)
- Slug-Slayer (30, for 5 LOTRO Points!)
- Slug-Slayer (60, for 10 LOTRO Points!)
- Wolf-Slayer (30, for 5 LOTRO Points!)
- Wolf-Slayer (60, for 10 LOTRO Points!)
- Goblin-Slayer (30, for 5 LOTRO Points!)
- Goblin-Slayer (60, for 10 LOTRO Points!)
- Harvest-Flies (30, for 5 LOTRO Points!)
- Harvest-Flies (60, for 10 LOTRO Points!)
- Spider-Slayer (30, for 5 LOTRO Points!)
- Spider-Slayer (60, for 10 LOTRO Points!)
- TOTAL: 100 LOTRO Points
-Shire Explorer Deeds: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Explorer_of_the_Shire
-The Sights of the Shire Deed:
- The Party Tree (28.9S, 71.5W)
- Methel-Stage (32.5S, 69.9W)
- The Stocktower (33.0S, 63.6W)
- The Quarry (27.9S, 65.7W)
- The Bridgefields Wall (30.6S, 64.1W)
- The Great Willow (33.6S, 69.9W)
-The Farms of the Shire:
A. Dora Brownlock’s Farm (31.3S, 72.7W)
B. Bamfurlong (34.3S, 64.4W)
C. Old Odo’s Leaf Farm (33.8S, 68.0W)
D. South Fields (34.4S, 74.4W)
E. Appledores (29.4S, 72.0W)
F. Puddifoot’s Fields (31.1S, 64.2W)
Great resource!: https://fibrojedi.me.uk/lotro/explorer-of-the-shire-deeds/
Note: there are no LOTRO Points for these two deeds, but they do count towards a larger “meta-deed” titled, “Deeds of the Shire.” Upon completion, this deed grants you 100 Marks (we will discuss this when we hit level 15), a Bronze-bound Lootbox, a Sturdy Steel Key (worth 40 gold in the current Auction Hall Economy!!), and Increased Reputation with The Mathom Society (1,200).
-The Life of a Bounder (Complete a certain # of quests to complete a “meta deed”):
- The Life of a Bounder (complete 15 quests for 10 LOTRO Points): https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/The_Life_of_a_Bounder
- The Life of a Bounder (advanced, complete 40 quests for 10 LOTRO Points): https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/The_Life_of_a_Bounder_(Advanced)
- The Life of a Bounder (Final, complete 75 quests for 15 LOTRO Points): https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/The_Life_of_a_Bounder_(Final)
-Exit Ticket: Post a comment on the class blog—
—about any questions you still have and things you are excited about as our J-Term progresses. Also! Suggestions are welcome (just make sure they are constructive!). Remember: this classroom is as much your teacher’s as it is yours, and I welcome opportunities to make it more productive and better for you.
Homework: Finish The Life of a Bounder, Advanced--complete a total of 40 quests within the Shire for 10 LOTRO Points.
You can check this by clicking “Shift + L,” selecting “Eriador” in the upper-right-hand-corner of your screen, and “Shire” at the bottom-left tab. Scroll through until you see where you are with “The Life of a Bounder, Advanced”