Writing Workshop, Day 3: Body Paragraphs 3 and 4

Dr. B loves this meme...but hopes you see the ironic spelling.

In today's class, we will be workshopping our first two body paragraphs for our next portfolio (a research essay using secondary sources to analyze Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, Truman Capote's In Cold Blood, and Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart).

Bring four copies of your third and fourth body paragraphs to class today. Hand three copies out (one for each group member) and keep one for yourself. (Note: If you are in a group of five, pass the fourth copy to your fourth group member.)

Writing Workshop Instructions:
1) Get into groups of four (with one group of five). Yes, we will use the magic sorting dinosaurs!
2) Write your name on top of the draft.
3) Read each paragraph in front of you, check spelling, punctuation, word choice, and grammar.
4) Also check for comprehension. Does the paragraph make sense?
5) Check for engagement: do the body paragraphs engage you? Do you want to read more?
6) Lastly, write two things you like about the body paragraphs.
7) Write two things you think the writer should work on.
8) Repeat steps 1-7 for each paper.
9) At the end, give the writer feedback as a group so s/he can take notes and discuss.

Writing Reflection:
At the end of today's workshop, please reply to this post in the comments section below. Reflect on what you learned during your workshop and what you need to focus on when revising your essay.

Comments

  1. Within my essay, it was evident that I need to revise my wording as
    well as split one of my paragraphs into two as it discusses two topics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to focus on reducing unnecessary words and adding more analysis to my quotes within paragraphs 3 and 4.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my essay, I need to be cautious of awkward sentences. My citations also need to be edited. Overall, the progression of my essay is coming along as well. Although I still need to add an additional section or two to match the length requirement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to work on "level threeing" my primary and secondary sources to connect to my thesis statement. Of course I've got some little wording and grammar things to iron out as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my essay I need to fix a lot of wording issues, and take more time to elaborate on analysis. It also looks like I need to either be wordier or make a new body paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I learned in today's workshop to work on my wording and transitioning between ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I learned that i need to focus more on transitions and elaborating on analysis

    ReplyDelete
  8. I learned I need to work on my wording and read my writing out loud to catch mistakes. I also need to make sure my spacing is correct.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to work on making my words stronger and check my grammar and word tenses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I learned that I need to work on avoiding awkward wording.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to work on wording, and I need to explain one of my quotes more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I mostly need to fix my citations, transitions, and specify.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My body paragraphs are too long, maybe I can cut some points and discussions out to create another paragraph. In case there are too many things i want to talk about but one paragraph is not enough. I also have to fix some grammar issues.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need to work on my transitions and my analyses. I also need to build some variation when I mention Mary Shelley and Victor Frankenstein.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stop being repetitive! Also maybe elaborate more on how he builds the "wall" between him and his family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I need to work on my transitions and sentence order. I also need to work on making my claims clear and well backed up. I should also would on making sure my paragraphs flow.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I learned that rushing while writing essays make my writing a bit unreadable, and that the first thing to fall is the general flow between my ideas. For purely coincidental reasons, I have to improve upon the general flow between sentences and the readability of my analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I need to go more in depth with some of my analysis as well as be more clear with what I'm saying

    ReplyDelete
  19. I need to work on my passive voice as well as how I word sentences. I also need to make sure that the sentences are plausible to the reader and says what I want it to say.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I need to make block quotes and work on word choice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts